Saturday 23 February 2008

Running scared

There's nothing like the fear of dying to make you feel more alive. Such was the intensity of the wind and rain today over the 30.6 miles that I ran from Tyndrum to Kingshouse & back to Bridge of Orchy, stopping running, or even walking, would have been a sure fire ticket to hypothermia.

I picked up Dave McLelland from his home before heading up to Tyndrum. It rained steadily all the way up, varying in intensity, but never drying up. We had planned to set off at 8:30 but having told Dave about my bacon sandwich for breafast, we couldn't leave until the Welly Boot opened. ;-) After Dave had scoffed his roll, we set off into the wind and rain which alternated between pellety lumps of rain and sheets of windblown low cloud, all equally wetting. The first climb out of Tyndrum always feels like hard work, being an uphill drag before your body has really accepted the idea that you really do mean to run 30 miles.

The dry feet lasted for about half a mile. After that, flippers might have been more appropriate footware. ;-) Nevertheless, we made good time and arrived in Bridge of Orchy after 61 minutes, which was a bit unfortunate really as we had a 17 minute wait for all the other runners to arrive, 17 minutes of getting progressively more chilled as we huddled under any cover we could find.

Ellen, Lorna & Mark were already there (having arrived early) and then Michelle & I think Steve arrived to complete the group. We set off and I tried to stick with the group but I was too cold to run too slowly and felt I had to push on just to rewarm. Shame really as I was looking forward to the social side of the run but I was running easily and and beginning to really enjoy the run, despite the atrocious conditions.

After Inveroran, Dave & Steve caught up with me but then Steve had to drop back as he was carrying a camelbac for Michelle. That left two of us out front making good time as we headed towards Kingshouse arriving there 2 hours and 8 minutes after leaving BoO. At Kingshouse we enjoyed a coffee & a bag of crisps and after about 5-6 minutes the rest of the group started to arrive. The coffee incidentally was the only thing I drank for the whole distance. I can't honestly say that I was thirsty at any point despite this. Perhaps I was absorbing the rain through my skin. It was certainly wet enough! ;-)

After 28 minutes, a dry shirt and a heavier waterproof, it was time to head back. We'd had the wind predominately on our back whilst heading west (although it contantly changed direction and force - at times blowing so hard it felt like we were being sandblasted instead of rained upon) but I knew the headwind on the way back would suck the heat from our bodies given half a chance.

The run back was tough. Whilst the run out had felt pretty easy, almost like freewheeling, the return was more akin to grinding up hills in low gears. Still, once again Dave and I soon lost sight of everyone. I'd like to say that I wasn't holding Dave back but in truth, he's such a strong runner. Fortunately for me, he's an incredibly patient guy who seems to not mind slowing down for others. Still, despite the weather, we managed 2:15 for the return trip, again well ahead of the pack. Our overall time (including stops) was 6:09. Minus stops, 5:32. Measured off Memory Map this comes out at 30.6 miles.

After the run, the plan was to get a lift back to Tyndrum with Mark or Ellen but we realised that they'd need to change before setting off (our dry clothes were back in Tyndrum) and we were cooling fast. I popped into the hotel to enquire about public transport (a long short but always worth asking). The train was going to be about 3 hours but the next bus was due in 18 minutes. Rather than wait getting colder, we decided to try hitchhiking back to Tyndrum. About four cars went by when a couple came out of the hotel and took pity on two drowned rats standing in the rain and offered to give us a lift back. Fortunately I had a black binbag in my rucksack so we were able to sit on this to save soaking the car seat. I'll always carry one now. ;-)

10 minutes later we were stripping off under the hot air hand dryers in the Welly Boot and enjoying more coffee and bacon sandwiches feeling like we'd survived some of the worst conditions we could possibly expect in June. All in all, a tough but good run.

No pictures alas, it was just way too wet to risk getting a phone or camera out.

5 comments:

Andy Kerr said...

Great story Tim, I miss those kind of runs, they're depressing on your own but with others they are a joy.

You've never been the best in the cold for shaking so well done on getting it done.

Andy

Unknown said...

It was a hell of a day mate.

Disturbingly satisfying.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debs M-C said...

Hey Tim,
Sounds like a tough one. Marco and I were in Blackpool and thinking of you all. Whilst I was complaining about the howling winds, he was talking positively about the fabulous weather we had for WHW training run last week. At least you got a PB for Carnethy... ;-)

Tim said...

Hi Debbie, you must have misread. It wasn't a PB but then it wasn't a PW either at Carnethy.

Yesterday was a day I'll long remember. Definitely not one of your run of the mill training days. ;-)