Sunday 10 February 2008

A great run and a lesson learned

I planned my long run today to start from home and finish at the Failford Inn, a distance of 20.9 miles according to Memorymap.
I started at 3:00pm in sunshire and (relatively mild conditions) in shorts & a t-shirt. I'd decided just to take a bottle belt which doesn't leave room to carry too much so the gloves and headtorch stayed at home. I did take a small windy-up LED hand-held torch though as I knew it would be dark before I reached Failford.

It was great running weather but it cooled down quickly after 4 o'clock and my fingers really began to suffer. That wasn't too bad though until I got past Stair when I started to need my torch.

Charging the torch before I started would have been smart, trying to charge it by winding the handle with frozen hands, in the dark , whislt running isn't to be recommended. ;-)

Still, I made it to Failford, largely down to knowing the route well. I think anyone not familiar with that part of the route would have really struggled. Once there, after a swift pint of milk (very obliging folk the Failford Inn staff) and a change of clothes, it was time to enjoy some real ale and pub grub. A perfect way to end a long run. ;-)

Pacewise, I felt strong throughout which was nice and finished in 3:15 (about 9:20 pace) which given the terrain and darkness, I more than happy with.

No comments: