Tuesday 5 February 2008

It's good to be back...

...under 20 minutes for 5K again. I've missed it badly and it's 15 months since I last managed it.

Tonight was a perfect night for it. Cool (needless to say really) but more importantly, nearly windless. I was determined to give it my best shot tonight so I wore my Vapourflys, my lightweight racing shoes.

Looking at my splits, I overcooked the first km a bit with a 3:49. Next one was a more reasonable 3:57 and the third km was completed in rather poor 4:09. (Clearly paying the penalty for setting off too fast). The fourth km was a 4:04 but by now I was beginning to hear the sound of approaching footsteps behind me. Charlie caught me at the 4km mark but rather than pass me, he hung on to my back. I really didn't feel like I had anything left to fend him off with but it seemed he didn't have quite enough left to pass me with. As we got to the last 400m, I pushed as hard as I dared and just sqeaked in under 20 minutes with a 19:59. (3:59 split)

Only just under 20 but it's enough to make me a happy man tonight. ;-)

4 comments:

Debs M-C said...

Fantastic, Tim. Congratulations.

Thomas said...

Tim,
I am glad that there is someone else out there using the metric system once in a while. And 4 minute splits (per kilometer) is quite something.
You are in good shape!

Tim said...

Hi Debbie. Sub 20 is a nice feeling. Nothing special for youngsters like Ian and John K but not so shabby for me. ;-)

Thomas, the metric system is an abomination. ;-) I only record km splits as our time trial course has them marked. I always train in miles although I sometime race in km. Km are just too small for training! You need big man sized units to train for a man sized race. ;-)

ianbeattie1 said...

well done Tim. I can well imagine how much that last 400m up the prom must have hurt, at least until you realised your time - and then I bet the pain disappeared!