Friday 15 August 2008

Knackered!

As part of my "panic training scheme" I went out with a club mate for what turned out to be a 28 mile run along the River Ayr Way. Having done my first long run since the WHW last Thursday (21 miles), a couple of 8 milers, a 5 mile trail race on Wednesday, I'm now ready to start tapering for the River Ayr Way race on the 6th of September. ;-)

I'd be the first to admit that this is no way to train for an event but that's never stopped me in the past and I don't suppose I change my ways now. When I say "taper" I really mean tapering my longest runs. I hope to try and put in a few more miles through the week than I've done till now but I think I've done enough long runs to get me through the race.

The run itself went well although the last 5 miles along Ayr seafront and home dragged a bit as I was on my own for that stretch but on the whole, I'm happy with the way I ran the hills and kept going without any major problems.

I am though seriously considering pulling out of the Loch Ness marathon. My heart just isn't in it at the moment. I remember how much road marathons hurt and I've not much enthusiasm for putting myself through that pain when a decent time let alone a PB seem out of the question at the moment. I guess I'll wait until after the RAW and see how I feel then but if I don't do the marathon I'll see if there are any 10k places left instead. Not that I'll run a 10K PB either but my wife will be running and I feel I ought to be up there to support her.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Tim you had a superb year so far. Don't push yourself too hard and expect too much from the rest of this season. If it does not feel right take it easy!
Giving the circumstances pulling out of the Loch Ness is a good decision.

Tim said...

Hi Thomas, I haven't definitely decided yet as it'll depend to a degree on whether I feel I can do the race any justice or not. I don't want to go up there and just jog round. If the RAW goes well, I might give it a go.