Monday 25 August 2008

Craigengower & long run

On Saturday I had to choose between the epic Ochil 2000s or our local hill race in Straiton. The Ochils race was something like 25km and Straiton was 3km. Honestly, I would have loved to have done the Ochils race but it would have meant a full day out and I don't think that would have been too popular at home. Instead, I opted to support the small local race.

It may be only 2 & a bit miles but it's a great wee race that's part of the village fete celebrations. There's always a great atmosphere and some years, there are even some serious runners! On Saturday, Prasad Prasad was there to take the course record down to 16:11. As you can see from his Scottish Hill Racing profile, he's quite a handy runner (very nice chap too). I finished in 22:02 which was a PB for me and put me 14th out of 49. If only I wasn't such a girly coming down the steep hills!

On Sunday I couldn't resist doing another long run up to Failford (21 miles from home) and although Saturday's race was just a short affair, I could feel that my legs were lacking a bit of bounce. Not unexpected of course and hopefully nothing that a bit of tapering between now and the RAW won't fix. I've decided that I'm definitely doing the Loch Ness Marathon and our accommodation is now booked. Don't suppose I'll be giving JK a run for his money but hopefully I won't disgrace myself either. ;-)

3 comments:

Brian Mc said...

Looks like a great race from the photo - up, then down. You'll enjoy the greenmantle dash come January time if you've not done it already. It does pretty much the same thing but also includes a stream fording, a bog, a fence to climb over and 300m of ascent and descent. Great.

Tim said...

Hi Brian, you might enjoy my clubmate's description of his race this year at Greenmantle.

http://tinyurl.com/5ra49n

Click on "Greenmantle08".

Colin Bucke said...

Hi Tim - glad to hear you're returning to the longish runs and that you're in Loch Ness. I'm in too, staying at the Ryeford Guest House, so far the family are coming too. Am up to 20 miles with a struggle but hopefully that will improve... 20 miles again this Saturday.