Monday 11 August 2008

Britain's first gold


I was delighted to see Nicole Cooke gain her well deserved gold medal yesterday. She was unlucky in Athens not to get one then and I'll bet it made it all the sweeter this time when she crossed the line. To say that she was excited after crossing the line would be the understatement of the year. ;-)
I have to say though that I'm a bit confused by the award of an individual medal for what was, by her own admission, a team event. Of course the TDF winner doesn't get there without massive support from his team but that's a very different event to a one-off road race. I can't help feeling that a non-drafting long time trial would be a much fairer (& better) test of individual strength.
Anyway, well done that girl!

2 comments:

Andy Kerr said...

The Time Trial is on in a couple of days isn't it Tim? They have both and they are a totally different discipline, I'd think she'd be unlikely to get both, but who knows.

Tim said...

Hi Andy, it's just that I feel that if the gold is being awarded to an individual athlete, then the effort shoulld be an individual one, not a team effort. I'm sure she deserves her gold, but then so do her team mates if she couldn't have done it without them.