Monday 25 May 2009

Why run barefoot?

...is the question that I'm asking myself and I'm sure some readers are wondering too.

Firstly, is running barefoot "better"?

From my lofty expereince of three (well, two and a half) runs, I can only say that I think this is the wrong question. It's a case of apples and oranges. They're different with their own pros and cons.

Is barefoot running faster?


Too soon to answer this one but there's no lack of evidence that reducing shoe weight increases speed. Reducing it to zero potentially gives you the maximum benefit but you can't run in the same way barefoot as you do shod so I'll have to wait and see on this one.

Doesn't it hurt?

I have to say, I was pretty amazed that on only my second fully barefoot run I could run for over an hour around Bristol with no blisters or other foot problems. Yes, this was on mostly pretty smooth man made surfaces but I hope that with more experience and miles on my feet, I should be able to tolerate rougher surfaces.

Surely there must be some downsides?


Yep. I've strained my right calf a bit and really it's no surprise. Over 50 years of running and walking in shoes haven't really prepared my feet & legs for running with no heel raise. Also, if you think of all the places you can run, and then the places that you can run barefoot, the latter is inevitably a subset of the former. So that means the places that you can run is more limited. Probably not as limited as you imagine though and I hope experience and conditioning of the skin of my feet will narrow the gap.

Another problem is that although barefoot might be "back to nature" ironically, manmade environments are better to run on than trails or off road (in my exceedingly limited experience).

So why should I try it?


Well, you'll save on shoes for a start. ;-) Also, when I finished my run around Bristol, I was grinning like a loon. It was just such fun and somehow "feeling" every foot of the run added a new dimension to the run. Running uphill was a pleasure and the lightness of foot is something that every runner should experience. In the book "born to run" the author talks about how the Tamahumara run with joy and I feel I'm beginning to understand the source of that joy. Maybe it's just the endorphines but barefoot running transforms running into something much more than just moving your legs quickly.

Go on, try it. What have you got to lose (other than your preconceptions)?

6 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Interesting post Tim and I will follow your progress on the bare foot running front but to be encouraging folks to try it out with less than 4 weeks to the whw race is .... not a great idea!!

So I for one will not be trying it for a while!!!

I seem to remember reading about a guy in USA who runs road marathons bare foot plus there was Abebe Bekele from Ethiopia who also did the same winning Olympic gold.

Look forward to reading how you get on.

JK

Tim said...

Hi John, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't got the time to experiment and the willingness to risk injury.

It is a journey into the unknown for me and with no big races on the horizon, I don't mind living a little "dangerously".

"Take a walk on the wild side", that's my motto.;-)

All I need now is to grow some dreadlocks, get some baggy Bermuda shorts & a whispy goatee beard and I'll look like a proper barefoot runner.

The Sunday Adventure Club said...

Hi Tim, there certainly seems to be a "barefoot revolution" going on, I'm watching with great interest since I've been plagued with foot problems for years now, might try a pair of these VFF's (i've tried everything else!)
Richie

Tim said...

Hi Richie,

For all you feet problems you seem to run pretty well at the present! ;-)

That said, if you've got problems they might be worth a shot but can you afford to risk injury in the short term? I've got some new aches in my calves, thighs & ankles which is probably to be expected from trying something so radically different from what I usually do.

Ben Melby said...

Hi Tim, We went hill-walking together once with Marco, Debbie, Neil, and co. Anyway, it's funny that you are experimenting with this since I too started running barefoot about 3 weeks ago. I only run on grass and dirt - haven't tried and likely will never try paved surfaces. But I definitely feel the difference in my achilles. It is strengthening and improving range of motion, giving me more stride length for my money. Other benefits seem to be in the development of leg speed, as you say, and a more efficient foot strike (i.e. learning how to diffuse impact properly without letting the shoe do the work and engaging more of the foot/toes in toe-off). For the average person, I would suggest going barefoot for grass reps (long or short, tempo or sprint sessions), starting with once a week and working up to three times a week. As long as it is gradually incorporated, it can only help one's running I would think. Plus it feels great to run barefoot on the cool grass on a summer's day.

Tim said...

Hi Ben,
Most of the advice that I've read on the barefoot forums suggest *avoiding* soft surfaces to begin with as there's not the same stimulus to modify your form. In other words, it's easier to hang on to "old habits".

I don't suppose we'll ever know which is the "best" approach but for me it's easier to find runnable road than trails at the moment.