Thursday 21 May 2009

First full "stealth run"

I say "stealth run" as one of the first things you notice about running shoeless is how quietly you can run.

Anyhow, I thought I'd go to the club tonight as my wife's in Jersey and I fancied a go at trying a run completely shoeless and sockless. We set out down the cycle track (all tarmac now) and that was easy enough for the first mile or so but the skin of my feet started to feel hot, a bit as if blisters were developing. Consequently, when we reached the edge of the golf course I moved off of the cycle path an on to the grass.

That brought some comfort but also some anxieties as I'm sure that's where Troonies walk their dogs! I was careful to avoid any particularly luxuriant growths of longer than average grass in case they held any hidden "surprises". ;-)

After that it was across the railway line via the footbridge and then across another golf course. This was particularly enjoyable after the hard tarmac. We then headed across the dunes and down to the beach where I then hoofed it northwards to catch the main body of runners who had got away from me whilst I was tiptoeing down one particularly horrid section of path.

Again, I delighted in the fleetness of foot that you can achieve running unshod (on the right surface).

We finished off by heading up St Meddan's road back to the Marr which was mostly okay apart from a section of pavement that consisted of textured concrete rather than tarmac. Very prickly!

By the end I'd done 4.5 miles of mixed surface running barefoot. Some of it had been unpleasant but some had been really enjoyable. My feet/ankles/shins/knees all feel absolutely fine so I think I'm going to stick with this a bit longer. I love the lightness of foot of barefoot running, I'm just not sure I'll ever get used to the prickling & stones etc!

Hopefully my Vibram 5 Finger shoes will be the answer.

9 comments:

Marco Consani said...

Hey Tim,

Well done. I totally agree with you that barefoot is the best and I am so jealous that you can actually do it. I would never be able to run 4.5 miles barefoot on tarmac. Barefoot running is so naturally but tarmac isn't so just be careful.

Marco

Tim said...

Why jealous Marco? I guess that I'm lucky in Troon in that on our club runs we do have the option of the golf courses and the beach.

You do need pretty smooth tarmac and pavements to get started though. Haven't you got any where you are?

Thomas said...

uhhh, Tim, I think I know where this is going. Next year there will be a runner in the news who attempted to run the WestHighlandWay Race barefooted... Good luck for that!

Tim said...

Oh hush Thomas, I was hoping to keep that secret. ;-)

I won't pretend that the idea hasn't crossed my mind though. I suspect that it takes *years* of barefoot running to be able to run trails though.

John Kynaston said...

Tim

You never cease to amaze me!

Running unsupported bear footed on the whw - now that I want to see.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with the 5 fingers.

John

Anonymous said...

Tim - am really interested in your trials and I like the idea of the whole no shoes thing. A word of caution though - I used to spend a lot of time running on beaches in Oz, and in the end it really hurt my back. When I did it with shoes it did not.. Not 100% correlation by any means, I was a lot less experienced than I am now so body not as strong etc and I did not know all about stretching but keep it in mind.. However there is NOTHING that beats a barefoot run on the beach.. I hope it goes well for you - Cheers Keith

Tim said...

Hi John, bear feet would be really handy. Just think of the grip I'd get with those claws! ;-)

Tim said...

Hi John, bear feet would be really handy. Just think of the grip I'd get with those claws! ;-)

Subversive Runner said...

Tim....is that two posts, one for each paw? shouldn't it ne four?

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!