Sunday 10 May 2009

Ben Lomond Hill race

Yesterday's weather forecast wasn't at all encouraging; rain, wind & snow all expected on Ben Lomond. This was only my second go at this race (first time last year) and I'd found it very tough going last time.

True to forecast, it was drizzling when we started, turned to sleet on the way up and by the time we were nearing the top it wasn't so much snowing as blasting us with ice particles which stung the eyes.

Despite this, I actually enjoyed the race a lot more this year. I felt stronger on the ascent, recovered faster on the less steep bits and generally felt like I was making good progress up the hill with considerably less effort than last year. Indeed, I was several minutes ahead of my club mates on the ascent until I blew my advantage by stopping for a somewhat distressed girl who I suspect just had a panic attack induced by the conditions. I waited until the mountain rescue guys arrived and then set off for the last stretch to the top.

I was really regretting not having taken my contact lenses by now as my glasses were opaque with the rain & sleet forcing me to finish the ascent without them. Not too much of a problem but goggles with wipers would have been the best wear for the top ridge where it felt like your eyeballs were being sandblasted.

I'd expected to see a marshal at the top but not one handing out cups of water! It really was atrocious up there and the poor guys must have really suffered.

Going down without my glasses was really tricky to start with. The rocks were covered in wet snow & slush and you never really knew when you might slip. Some 20:20 vision would really have helped on this bit!

The route takes a couple of "off-piste" diversions away from the tourist path, the second of which passed right through the centre of a bog. Great to see that the course designers have a sense of humour! My shoes managed to stay on my feet and I finished the race in about the same time as last year.

As I'd stopped for 3-4 minutes though on the way up I'm counting it as a good PB. The running felt easier and I enjoyed the racing a lot more this time.

All runners get some great hot soup and hot bread in the Rowardennan Hotel at the end. A great finish to a great day!

No comments: