Thursday 21 May 2009

The power of conformity

Experimenting with barefoot running has forced me to think about issues I hadn't considered before. I like to think that I'm "my own man" so to speak and not easily influenced by what others think but I think the urge to conform is built into our very fabric as social animals.

I was out dog walking on the beach & sea front path this morning with a good friend (who long ago realised that I wasn't quite normal) trying to acclimatise the skin of my feet. I had no problems being barefoot on the beach or pavement with him but when we met other folk, it felt a bit like one of those dreams where you go to school/work and find out that you're naked. Suddenly I felt a bit self conscious. Perhaps if I had been in running gear it wouldn't have felt so uncomfortable but it's an issue I'm going to have to think about.

I don't mind being thought of as "the running nutter who goes barefoot" but somehow being thought of as the "dog walking nutter who goes barefoot" seems worse. I have to accept that what people think about me can affect my family so sometimes compromise is necessary.

I suspect that I probably won't go dog walking too often barefoot and keep my barefoot excursions to running ones. I think the answer might be some thin moccasin type shoes that will at least let my feet work naturally without looking too weird.

Does this make me a coward? I dunno.

No comments: