Wednesday 16 April 2008

Running again, slowly...

After a few days of pretty bad back pain, things have settled down to the "discomfort" level and I'm running again thankfully. Not fast but distance doesn't seem to be a problem so as long as I don't mind plodding, it looks like I'll be able to keep my mileage up.

What I'm NOT going to do this time (famous last words) is try and play "catch up" with my mileage. I've a bad habit of doing this (I'm sure I'm not alone in this) but this time I think I can resist the temptation. In the big scheme of things, a few days training lost in a 8 month build-up to the WHW race is neither here nor there.

Really looking forward to the Highland Fling race now. Just to make it a bit more interesting I've decided that I'm going to do it without drop bags and carry my own provisions. Two reasons really. The first is to deliberately perhaps make me slightly less competitive (with the intention of lessening the risk of injury prior to the WHW race) and secondly, as a feasibility test for running the full WHW unsupported. I'll top up with water en-route but that's all.

Postscript

59 minutes. That's how long my resolve to "not try and catch up" lasted. I went out for a run not long after my post above and found that my back wasn't hurting at all. That being the case, I just couldn't resist adding a bit on to my planned run in an effort to make up the lost miles. It was only 2 extra miles and I suppose it could have been worse. I could have gone out for a 30 miler to make up last week's deficit. ;-)

3 comments:

Brian Mc said...

Good news - sounds like you'll be on for the Fling.

I'm doing the opposite re: provisions. My wee brother is support crewing me for the WHWR so we're treating the Fling as a test run for him - he'll be support crewing me. If you fancy a cup of coffee, just say. :-)

Thomas said...

Tim, good to see you recovering. I have made some progress too. I did 4 miles today. My first "long" run since last Monday. I think there is a chance I see you at the start. Let's not talk about the finish yet ;-)

Tim said...

Hi Brian,

Don't tempt me! Much as I love coffee (particularly during ultra events), it will mean breaking my "run self supported" plan so alas, I'll have to forgo it. :-(

Thomas, Fingers crossed we at least meet up at the start AND at the finish.