Saturday 19 April 2008

Getting better every day

My back is now almost completely better, at least as far as running is concerned. It's still a bit sore after sitting down for any length of time, but as long as I can run, I don't care.

Missing last weekend's long run has been irking me as I didn't really want to do too much too close the the Fling but somehow I ended up doing a 16 miler today in sunny, but windy weather. Still, my mileage for the week has been "average" and I've not caught up my three missed days last week so it looks like I've managed to mostly resist the temptation to play at catch up.

As the Fling and WHW draw ever nearer I feel like I'm walking on eggs trying not to get injured between now and the races, a fate that has already befallen quite a few runners. Having failed to make the start line twice in the last two years I'm perhaps more conscious of the perils of overtraining than most.

Anyway, only a week to the Fling now. Just hope I feel a bit more spritely next Saturday that I felt today. Stocked up on Mars Bars & raring to go!

7 comments:

Johnny Dx said...

Good luck with your Fling Tim. I am keen to see how you find the Mars bars...I reckon by your 3rd or 4th you'll be craving a Kit-Kat :)

Brian Mc said...

Great news that you have recovered. See you on Saturday!

Thomas said...

Tim, did you consider that on a hot day those Mars Bars might melt away?

Anyway looking forward to meet you at start and finish (if you are kind enough to wait for me).

Tim said...

Thanks everyone. Yes Thomas, I am a little worried about it being a hot day! It might force a late change in my nutrition strategy. Either that or lugging around a freezer block to keep them cool. ;-)

Marco Consani said...

Tim,
Good luck on the fling at the weekend. I am so jealous. Wish I could make it too.
Have you tried those Mars milkshakes. Maybe they would keep better in warm weather... And they are fab.

Marco

Tim said...

Hi Marco,

I'm a fan of milk (chocolate & plain) and I dare say that Mars milkshakes would slip down a treat but I'm thinking about the weight (bearing in mind that I'm carrying everything apart from water from the start). If I keep my fluid intake down to just water I can cut the weight considerably.

Must admit, I'm really looking forward to the challenge of doing it more or less self sufficient.

Debs M-C said...

You need a suction pump to get in through the straw though. I fear you could faint from the pressure ;-)

Good luck tomorrow.