Wednesday 30 April 2008

After the Fling

Still on a bit of a high after winning a medal. My male pride has taken a bit of a dent at the realisation that the first SV was a woman though. ;-) I'm pretty sure this means that I'll hold the record for the *slowest* men's winning time for the supervet category as there are so many faster 49 yr old guys just waiting to turn 50.

I really enjoyed the event and although I felt a bit ambivilent about doing it in previous years, having done it once, I can't conceive of NOT doing it next year. I might have to pursuade Murdo that there should be medals for first, second AND third supervets so that I'm in with a chance of a medal again. ;-)

I tried a little run on Monday evening. The legs were a little stiff but I had a bit of pain on the top of my left foot that wouldn't settle so I cut my run shot. Having had one stress fracture I'm not going to risk aggravating anything that feels even remotely like my last one. Fingers crossed it's just a bit of tendinitis as it's not bothered me at all today.

I'm undecided as to what to do in the way of long runs between now and the WHW race. I've got the Ben Lomond hill race on the 10th of June which should be good (I really felt that the Carnethy 5 hill race early in the year gave me a boost) but it's not a long run. I'm not sure about doing really long back to back runs either. Not that I don't think that they're a good idea in general, I'm just not sure whether I want to take the attendant injury risk with my history. I might do a couple of shorter "back-to-backs" instead, perhaps on the River Ayr Way.

The general plan (such as it is) is to build back up to my 50 miles/week once I'm sure that my foot is okay and then hold it at that level for this year. If I complete the training without any mishaps this year I'll maybe think about pushing the mileage a bit more but my first priority has to be to get to the start line.

No comments: