Saturday 5 April 2008

84...

..is the number of miles I've run in the last week (from Saturday to Friday). That's not how I normally calculate my weekly mileage but given that it's the highest number of miles I've ever run in 7 days (barring running the WHW), I think it deserves a bit of statistical jiggery pokery. ;-)

It only came about because this weelend is busy and I wanted to get my long run done on Friday. The weather was fine (which was a bonus) and my legs (and in particular, my gluteals) seemed well recovered from last Saturday's run.

I set off up my River Ayr Way route to Failford (21 miles) in pleasant sunny weather and experimented along the way with reduced but more frequent calorie intake. Instead of one Mars Bar 10 every 10 miles, I changed to 1/3 of a bar every hour.

Energy-wise, this seemed to work okay but my experiment was somewhat spoiled by the discovery that although I seem to be able to get by with much less fluid than I used to take, I'm no camel. The warmer weather made a big difference to my insensible losses and I'd drained my 500ml of water by 15 miles. Unlike the WHW, there are no crystal clear streams pouring down beside the path and I'd have to be pretty desperate to try the river water or the run-off from the fields.

Still, it didn't seem to affect my time too badly (3:16) and given the terrain and recent long WHW run, I'm happy with that.

4 comments:

Johnny Dx said...

I wish you well with your experiment Tim but take care not to get stranded... I came across this while trying to dispel my own fear of dehydrating on the trail:

http://www.sailgb.com/p/aquapuretraveller_water_purification_system/

I haven't taken the plunge yet but will be taking it on the 100k in a couple of weeks.

allybea said...

Congrats on the 84 miles but I hope you're being sensible. I'd like to see you start the race this year!

Also wanted to let you know I've revived my whwbackup blog since it's not long now!

Tim said...

Hi Johnny, that looks like an intresting gadget. Might well think about it for an unsupported run.

Ally, the 84 was a bit of a fudge. My actual mileage for each week (Monday to Sunday) was 50 miles. It was just the both long runs happened in a 7 day period.

Not a lie as such, just statistics. ;-)

Thomas said...

Hi Tim, thanks for your comment on my blog. Last year I had 2 bottles of slim fast during the ultra, and that worked so well that I did it again. I added a bottle of chocolate milk this time, which was an experiment I won't repeat.

From a fuelling point of view, the race was great, I never felt low on energy. My problems were muscular, as far as I can tell.

Good Luck with your training and the WHW!