Tuesday 4 March 2008

What a difference a haircut makes!

I always feel that I run better after a haircut but even I was surprised by the difference yesterday's haircut made in tonight's 5K time trial.

Last month I had a runner to chase and another one hot on my heels so I felt I had really given it my best shot. I was pleased to squeak back in under 20 minutes with a time of 19:59. Tonight though, I had no one to chase so I knew I'd be setting the pace myself. I was hoping to get under 20 minutes again but without anyone to chase, I wasn't sure whether I'd pull it off again or not.

I needn't have worried. My legs felt full of beans right from the start and unlike previous months, I didn't feel like I was slowing significantly as I progressed. In the end I was delighted to stop my watch at 19:21, 38 seconds faster than last month.

My splits this time were 3:48, 3:49, 4:02, 3:50 and 3:50. If only I could have held my speed over that 3rd Km! That would have been another 10 seconds off. ;-)

Still, mustn't grumble, I'm more than happy with a 38 second improvement in my 5K time in one month. Of course, it probably won't make a ha'pence worth of difference to my WHW time but I enjoy my 5Ks. Doubt I'll pull off a similar improvement next month. ;-)

6 comments:

ianbeattie1 said...

Excellent performance Tim. Shows you are in good shape. Just need to keep it together for a few months and I'm sure you'll see the benefits at this year's WHW. Just be careful not to overdo it too early - an easy week every now and then works wonders for freshening you up! See you on Sun.

Debs M-C said...

Fantastic time, Tim. You must be delighted.

I always knew it was my hair that slows me down ;-)

Tim said...

Thanks Ian, Debbie. With things going so well at the moment, I daren't change anything with my training. Think I'll stick with what I'm doing now!

Marco Consani said...

Well done Tim... I always knew hair slowed people down. For the WHW I am getting a skin head and shaving all my leg hair.

Tim said...

Shaving Marco? You'll have stubble by the end of the race! Go for waxing! ;-)

Brian Mc said...

I can't grow hair on the top of my head anymore (aaaw) so I am shaved partly through choice and partly through necessity. However, p'raps it is this, my aerodynamic dome which helped me beat my 1/2 marathon PB last weekend.

Shave on young Downie! (and well done)