Saturday 29 March 2008

I'm a weenie (and proud of it)

It could only happen amongst a group of ultra-runners. Had a great run, 36/37 milesish and I feel like a weenie as most of the folk were running 43. ;-)

I could have run the 43 as I made good time up from Ayr and arrived at 7:55 in Tyndrum but I had always planned to run "just" 37 as I'm less worried about my speed than making it to the start line. As a two time "no show-er" in the last two years the thought of not making it to the start line yet again weighs rather heavily on my mind.

After leaving the crew in Tyndrum I drove on to Bridge of Orchy. It did cross my mind to wait for that main pack to arrive but I've discovered that I'm more comfortable with running at my own pace and don't like running faster or slower to fit in with others on these long runs. Alas this means I end up being a bit antisocial but I honestly feel I'm running better because of it. I was very satisfied with my time of 7:02 for the 37 miles today.

As I was starting on my own I'd decided to be more or less self sufficient, carrying a change of clothes for Fort William and enough Mars Bars to see me through. What I lost in speed through carrying the extra weight I think I more than made up for by not stopping at any of the "check-points" where the others were meeting the support crew.

I would love to pass on a few funny anecdotes but it would only turn into "another poo story" and my wife's heard more than enough of them. Suffice it to say I had a major "Mike Mason moment" (an MMM) just outside Bridge of Orchy. Aileen commented that I could have easily used the facilities in the Bridge of Orchy Hotel but that wouldn't have been half as much fun. ;-)

I had a camera and tried to take a few pictures but despite the oodles of megapixels, I must have had something on the wrong setting so they were all pretty grainy. The only decent shot was this one of Jon and Aileen, fellow West Highland Way runners.

2 comments:

Marco Consani said...

Hi Tim,

So glad that you got back okay last night. Unless you are blogging from somewhere in Fort William. ;-)

Great time and all self sufficient.
Well done.

Marco

Thomas said...

Tim, you looked quite relaxed and fresh when I met you in Fort William (and on all photos I have seen). And running this self supported earned you extra points. Well played!

See you at the Fling,
Thomas