Monday 24 September 2007

Taking risks

Andy's comment on my last message got me thinking about running and risk-taking. I think I am probably less "risk averse" than many folk. Whilst I know that wearing a lightweight shoe for a marathon carries an increased risk of injury, I also know that I will get a lot more pleasure out of the race by running in them.

What I don't think anyone can quantify in any meaningful way for any runner in general and me in particular is how great that risk is. I'm not a great beliver in "conventional wisdom", not because I think I'm smarter or "better" in any way, but more because I have more faith in the idea that we are all "an experiment of one". By that I mean that the only way to find out what works for you (and what doesn't work) is to try it. Maybe I'll get injured but with 9 months still to go until the WHW race I think the risk is small and acceptable.

I'll just have to wait and see!

No comments: