Sunday 23 September 2007

I am such a heel...

Just one day, yep, ONE day into my taper and I hate all other runners. Okay, maybe hate is a little strong. More "resent" than hate. Why? Because they're running and I'm not.

When I'm out running, all other runners are my brothers (or sisters) who share my pain, share my pleasure. The moment I stop running though, I'm instantly resentful of the fact that they're working to build their fitness whilst I'm not running. It doesn't matter if I've just come back from a 20 miler, I still feel like they're gaining an "edge" over me by training while I'm resting. I appreciate that this flies in the face of everything I said about rest being an important part of training yesterday but this is what I feel, not what I think. See? I told you I was a heel. ;-)

Being serious for a moment, I suppose this all stems from the fact that we all, as runners, have spent a lot of time fighting the inertia that kept us from running for years and now find it hard to equate "not running" as an actively beneficial process. My head knows it's true but my heart takes some convincing.

On a more positive note, yesterday's run hasn't left me with any significant physical after effects, just a touch of residual humiliation. I've been cheering myself up by thinking about running in my new Nike Vaporflys. They are just so light and so comfy. Every runner should have a pair of lightweight shoes just to enjoy the wonderful sense of liberation that they give you.

2 comments:

Andy Kerr said...

And the wonderful injuries from racing shoes?

Tim said...

What can I say Andy other than "Watch this space"? ;-)