Saturday 29 September 2007

Just when you're feeling sorry for yourself...

...something happens that completely changes your perspective.

When you take on the job of webmaster for your running club the one thing you really don't expect to have to do is to announce the sudden accidental death of a clubmate but that it exactly what's happened today.

Tragically one of my clubmates on a visit to Troon's twinned town of Villeneuve-sur-Lot slipped on some stairs and suffered a fatal head injury. It's hard to come to terms with the fact that someone I was chatting to in the street on Monday isn't coming back to the club, his wife or his family all due to the randomness of an accidental slip. Suddenly my concerns about my calf, my training, my time in Inverness, seem massively inconsequential. And yet, despite it all, no matter how awful I feel for his wife and family, I know that in a week's time I *will* be worrying about my time. I can only hope that my clubmate, wherever he is now, will, as a runner, understand the obsession that drives all runners to challenge themselves and to push the boundaries. I shall be thinking of him during my run and if possible, running a PB in his memory.

No comments: