Wednesday 3 March 2010

Row, row, row your...Concept2



...gently up the WHW.

Back on board after a weekend off. I say "off" but in reality a busy weekend driving between Melrose, Oldham, Chester, Oldham again and then back home. We didn't get back until late Monday night and red wine seemed considerably more important than clocking up a few more km on the rower. That said, I'm going to see if I can catch up so that I can at least average 5km per day over the whole WHW.

After my first week of rowing I started to develop an unpleasant ache in my right wrist & hand and I suspect that I've got a touch of carpal tunnel syndrome. Consequently I've reduced the resistance from 10 to 5 which so far isn't troubling my wrist. Although it took me a while to get my head around the idea I can confirm that rowing 5km at "5" is just as hard as rowing 5km at "10". The resistance setting is equivalent to changing the size of oars that you might use in a real boat. Smaller oars mean an easier pull but you have to do more of them to cover the distance so I've pretty happy that I'm not "cheating" by dropping the resistance, I'm just using a better sized oar for someone of my physique.

Whether all this rowing is going to do me any good I don't know but I'm working on the basis that anything that leaves you collapsed on the floor in a puddle of sweat can't be all bad. ;-)

3 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

Mate, have a look at my blog post of 29 march 2008 http://subversive-running.blogspot.com/2008/03/windy-day-on-river.html

If you stay on the rower you end up like my pal, Aaron Marcovy....a monster!!

Anonymous said...

Rowing on vent 10?? That's just asking for a back injury. Vent 3 most resembles rowing on the water. Teams often train around drag 120, which you can set from the monitor.

Tim said...

Anonymous, I've already scaled back to 5 and I'm finding that more comfortable. I might scale back more now that I know a bit more about drag factor & the like. Cheers.