Friday 26 March 2010

Improvement, of a sort...

Well, my running may not be going as well as I'd like but my rowing is improving. ;-)

I've now rowed 120 km which takes me to Altnafeadh at the base of the Devil's Staircase. That only leaves me another 33 km to do before I'm finished the WHW. I did my first 2 km time trial today and was pleased to slip under the bar set for me by a certain crazy German of 8 minutes with a time of 7:46.0. I took 10 minutes for my arms to stop shaking afterwards though!

My legs do seem to be recovering well after the Hardmoors though. I returned to a favourite hill on Wednesday that for various reasons I haven't run up for a year. At 270m it isn't that high but the road swoops up and down on its way to the top and it's an excellent hill for giving your quads a good thrashing on the way down. I'm convinced that one has to train your quads to run downhill as well as up to survive the WHW race.

Away on holiday for a week next week (canal boating) so there won't be any rowing but hopefully I should be able to get in some easy miles along the towpath.

3 comments:

Silke said...

Thats a cracking time for 2k. I cannot run that fast!

Thomas said...

Oops, I used the wrong blogger ID... how did that happen?
What I wanted to say: This is a really fast and tough session you just did.
I do remember sub 8mins was always a challenge with the last 500m "into the dark" and tunnel vision etc. Well done! You won!

But I suppose I have to challenge you and set a new target...
7:30!

Rather not though. Your upper body strength is developed enough now. You need to get back on your legs :-)

Tim said...

I'm confused now Thomas. I thought I had a new admirer and I KNOW that you can run 2k in less than 7:46. ;-)

Can't say I had tunnel vision (can't have been trying hard enough) but that last 500 really does hurt!

I suppose I might try for 7:30 but not until I've finished rowing the WHW.

As you say though, I really ought to be spending a bit more time working on my legs! Thanks for all your encouragement.