Wednesday 11 February 2009

Pain in the butt 1 - Chiropractor 0

Today I had my third (and I strongly suspect my last ever) treatment session. As before, a lot of pushing and shoving around, assurances that I was breathing much better (despite the fact I could feel no difference) and some decidedly uncomfortable neck cracking.

I'm afraid I'm probably not a good patient for chiropractic treatment as I just can't buy into the "life long" treatment business that they try so hard to sell. Nor do their theories about what they're doing really convince me. Despite my doubts I am/was prepared to give the treatment the benefit of the doubt based on results.

The results so far have been no improvement in my bum and a sore stiff neck after today's treatment. Consequently, unless things magically improve over the next week, I won't be going back.

Running wise, I'm still keeping my options open but I strongly suspect I'll be having a year off the WHW race this year.

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Tim, firstly that all sounds soo familiar. The selling strategy, the cracking and the fact that it is worse after the treatment and not better.
Also the (mostly unplausible) diagnosis and the (un-) logical treatment as a consequence of that. I went to a bone cracker in Amsterdam once and he diagnosed some posture problem and started treatment. He then went on vacation and his colleague took over. His diagnosis was totally different! He was not impressed at all that I noted the diagnose from his pal was completely different!
But both agreed that the treatment should be ongoing...
And the pain AFTER the treatment was just excrutiating...

But to cut the story short. I have been there. But more importantly it helped! A couple of weeks later the pain was gone and never returned (although I did not return either... but that was for other reasons since my contract in Amsterdam ended...) And I run the Amsterdam Marathon in a PB.

Enough said. Give the treatment a chance and some time! We all need you taking part in this seasons races!

Davie said...

Whilst the cynic in us wonders at the sell, I must echo Thomas and say that my experience with the chiropractics is a positive one. However, I haven't been for some time, mainly because I use techniques he taught me and those I learned by doing various courses whilst coaching and in Sports Massage Therapy. Stretching and relaxation techniques is probably the best way to avoid problems.

Anonymous said...

I am in the been there gang as wll with Chiro's - they are very popular in Oz. Must admit though I have had success with them, had some crappy back probs a few years back that was sorted. Also know they - like quite a few physios - are definitely self promoting and want you to come back for multiple sessions.. An exception I have found is FASIC in Edinburgh, 2 sessions, no rubbish about "ooh don't run" and I was sorted. Also have got the butt problem so need to revisit. Hope you recover !! Cheers Keith