Wednesday 25 February 2009

Idiopathic plantar hidradenitis...

... is a bit of a mouthful but I think is the name for the itchy bumps I get on the soles of my feet when I run a lot.

I've had them on and off for years but never known what the condition was. Somehow it's more comforting to know it has a name. I hope this knowledge brings comfort to other suffers out there. ;-)

Getting back to running, my buttock hasn't fallen off but remains firmly attached. The pain is still present though most of the time so I'm still not out of the woods. Had a lumbar pine x-ray yesterday which I doubt will show anything but as I said, it's part of the work up to a hospital referral.

I went out again on Monday night with Muriel & some friends - there's nothing like 4 runs in 5 days to ease oneself gently back into running after an injury ;-) - and enjoyed an easy six miles. This time there was a bit more of an ache so I think I need a day or two off. The best bit however was blasting up a hill.

I can't remember at what point in my running career hills became a pleasurable challenge rather than something to be avoided. I just love sprinting up sprintable hills. There's just nothing to beat that surge of power, the foot plant, the thrust, the flight, that period of anaerobic burn when you're going all out with no thought for the future, just enjoying the ride.

For some reason my ankles are sore now. Can't think why that should be. ;-)

3 comments:

Michael Reid said...

Hello Tim,
was thinking of running the Troon 10k but have not ran as long as 10k in years. Still go to the gym three times a week though.
Any advice?

Tim said...

Hi Michael, sorry for not responding sooner. I'm not too hot on this networking lark.

Regarding the 10K, if you're keeping fit at the gym it will stand you in good stead but there's no substitute for running. If you're just getting back to running on the road I'd suggest looking at the Runners World website where they have lots of training plans for runners of all abilities.

HTH.

Michael Reid said...

Just reading your response now!
Cheers!
Will do!