Sunday 19 October 2008

When self belief isn't enough

I've just finished reading Tom McNab's book Flanagan's Run, a novel based on a race that took part in 1928 across America.  The book is a bit corny put it's a real page turner and clearly the author knows his stuff about running, well he ought to given his background.


Anyway, after reading the book I felt all fired up and ready to run across a continent so within an hour of finishing it, I was lacing up my shoes and out the door, ready to run until I dropped at which point I'd phone the calvary (my wife) to pick me up from wherever I ended up.  The plan had been to run up the River Ayr Way from my home to Failford (at least -  maybe further), a distance of 21 miles.  Things started well but the moment I left the seafront where I'd had a following wind, I seemed to be going head-on into it.  It was spitting rain and all in all, conditions were not codusive to effortless running.

Of course the other thing not condusive to easy running was a more or less complete lack of any sort of training since the Loch Ness Marathon.  Still, I thought, never let a lack of training dent your self belief. ;-)

Anyway, to cut a boring story short, after about six miles I decided that a long open-ended run wasn't really on the cards and changed my route to take me back home in a 14.6 mile loop.  Not a bad run but somewhat short of my dreams.  Worse though was the way my ankle repeated its post Loch Ness marathon trick of being agonisingly painful for a period post run.   Last time it settled spontaneously after a day and hadn't bothered me since the LNM.  This time it seems to be fading again but by heck it was painful for a while.  I've no idea quite what's going on and I presume it's probably soft tissue but weirdly, the pain is much worse when I lift my weight OFF my foot.  It's not great on weight bearing either but ten times worse when I lift my foot off the ground.  There's nothing to see and now, 6 hours post run, barely any tenderness.  Any suggestions as to what this might be gratefully received.

I think I need to get back to some proper training and stop thinking I can run without doing my homework.

2 comments:

Johnny Dx said...

Quote:I'd phone the calvary (my wife)
Typo or Freudian slip ;)

Self belief got you out the door and will continue to give you confidence to follow your sometime madcap schemes. I'm most way through reading 'The Book of the Bivvy', a dangerous book; I propose that you give it a wide birth, especially reading it directly after 'Feet in the Clouds'. Good luck your ankle trouble.

Brian Mc said...

Bit mystified about your ankle there Tim. See a physio soon is the only advice I can offer. Hope it gets better!