Friday 24 October 2008

Ankle update

Well, I think I'm crocked again.  My ankle is still sore and gets worse with any weight bearing exercise (including walking) and from a reply on the Fell Runners forum, I'm inclined to believe that I might well have a stress fracture. 


My lack of consistent training but desire to do long races has almost certainly been the cause and if I had to pick one event, I think it would have to be Loch Ness that finally did for it.  My long run last Sunday was just the icing on the cake. ;-)

One good thing though is that I'm pretty philosophical about it and if I've got to take time off at any time of year, I'd far rather it was now when the weather's foul, the day's short, wet and windy and the cross country season beckoning. ;-)

If I had anything important in the offing I suppose I could do the old cross training bit but I'm not sure I could even cycle at the moment and swimming bores me silly.

The plan is to rest for a week or two and then try some very gentle off road runs.  If that goes okay then build up slowly from there.  If the pain comes back, leave it a couple more weeks and reapeat.

No comments: