Wednesday 29 October 2008

Fergie Memorial run


Our club organised a memorial run for one of our members who died last year whilst on a trip to France.  It was a huge shock to us all and his many friends and we felt it would be appropriate to organise at least one run in his memory.  This was held last Sunday which fortunately, wasn't anywhere near as horrid as the Saturday had been.


It was set up as a charity fun run with all proceeds going to York Hill hospital.  We set the entry fee at a nominal £2 but with just over 100 entrants, we still ended up collecting neary £1,000 as many folk made much larger voluntary donations.  A testament more to the respect and esteem that folk had for Fergie rather than the worthiness or otherwise of the particular charity chosen.

Anyway, as I'm still "hors de combat", I was on registration and photography duty.  It seemed a good opportunity to try out our camera's "burst" mode as I normally find it incredibly difficult to get decent pictures of runners.  I think I managed to capture the atmosphere of the event pretty well on the day although I have to admit that the first photograph *wasn't* taken by me but by Kenneth Phillips (a keen local retired runner and photograher of running events).  I took a similar shot but mine was rather spoiled by sunlight.

Here are a few of the better ones (click to view full sized) and all of them my be viewed here.  (Incidentally, the dress code was to "dress colourfully").

Regarding my running, not a lot of that happening at the moment.  I'm trying to stick to my resolution to give my ankle a couple of weeks' rest but as the pain has 90% resolved, I suspect I might try it out tomorrow.  I'm still unsure what the problem is but the pain feels bony which I know sounds rather vague but based on that feeling I'm still inclined to think it's probably a stress fracture.  I might go doctor bothering if it flares up again and see if it would be worth getting my bone density checked.

I'm still hopeful that I'll be able to join in a group training run on the 30th of November though.  There's a world of difference between pounding out a road marathon & jogging along the WHW so fingers crossed it won't set me back.




No comments: