Friday 9 May 2008

Relieved, sort of...

I was more than a bit disappointed in my time on Tuesday's 5K but now, with hindsight, it's easy to see that all was not well within the Downie body.

I'd had a slightly gippy tummy on Monday and Tuesday morning but by the afternoon, things seemed to have "blown over". After my run on Tuesday evening, my guts turned to water and my temperature was all over the shop. The last two days have involved many visits to the loo and a couple of exceedingly dicey runs ("runs" being the appropriate word) where I've had to dash off into the bushes at intervals.

Today at last, I can break wind with impunity, something that you take for granted until you lose the ability to do so without imperiling your underwear. ;-)

Fingers crossed now that it really is settling as I've got the Ben Lomond Hill race tomorrow and whilst I don't expect to excel at it, I'd like to be able to enjoy it at least.

This week has also been the week of our club 10K race, one that's proved very popular with west of Scotland runners. It's the highpoint (and maximum stress point) of our club's year and we always breathe a huge sigh of relief when it's over. Since we've introduced chip timing, our stress levels have reduced enormously, or at least mine have. Having spent a few years being responsible for results production using manual timing methods, I, perhaps more than anyone in the club, appreciate the value and accuracy of a chip timing service.

It was good to see Ian, John and Neal on the night. There may have been other WHWers out there but as I spend much of my race night hunched over a laptop, I don't get to see much of what's going on.

1 comment:

Brian Mc said...

Good luck with the Ben Lomond race!