Wednesday 7 May 2008

Good luck in the Troon 10k!

I just wanted to wish any readers taking part in tonight's 10K race in Troon the best of luck. I think the weather forecast is for it to be another warm night and if it' anything like last night, it's going to make it tough.

I had a miserable 5K time trail last night, partly down to the weather, and partly, with the benefit of hindsight, due to some sort of bug I was brewing. My throat & tongue felt like they were being shrivelled up right from the start and although I ran the first kilometer in 3:50, it had felt like hard work. There was no spring in my step and none of the "get-up-and-go" feeling that I'd had back in March when I ran 19:21.

After the first km, I struggled and crossed the line in 20:29. I dare say some of the Highland Fling aftermath accounted for some of my slowdown but I had been feeling better towards the end of last week that I did at the beginning of this one. Spending the best part of 12 hours in the car at the weekend didn't help my back either.

About an hour after the race, I was siezed with a violent attack of shivering and went to bed with an extra blanket. Some time during the night I awoke completely drenched in sweat so it seems that there was clearly something not right with me. Lets just hope I can shake it off before the Ben Lomond hill race on Saturday.

1 comment:

Brian Mc said...

Funny, I started getting a sore throat last wednesday after the Fling and didn't shake the cold till bank holiday Monday.

Good luck with the Ben Lomond race.