Thursday 15 May 2008

It's official, I'm getting slower...

After a rubbish 5K time (20:29) on the 6th of this month (compared to 19:21 back in March), a rubbish run up and down Ben Lomond (1:54:40) last Saturday and now, a rubbish 10K time in Kilmarnock last night (44:02), I think I can say hand on heart, my speed is rubbish. ;-)

Of course I can think of all sorts of excuses what with possibly still recovering from the Fling, still recovering from Ben Lomond, still recovering from a tough (but great) training run on Tuesday night where we galloped all over Dundonald Hill and a bout of food poisoning thrown in for good measure last week as well. So, all in all, I'm not too downhearted. I know that my 5k/10k speed isn't what's going to get me to the end of the WHW in just over 5 weeks' time.

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to joining the WHW family on Bridge of Orchy on Saturday morning for the second half of my "back to back" long runs. Unlike the hardcore crew, I'll just be doing an "easy" 21 miles on the Friday before joining them for the 36 miles to Fort William. Part of me would like to do more but more than anything, I want to be sure of making it to the start line. Touch wood, my legs are completely free of any niggles and I'd like to keep them that way this side of the WHW race.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Tim, don't worry about getting slower. You are doing just fine. Legs without niggles is what you need. And that's what you got! You are still doing good miles and a slow hill race is just perfect.

PS I am really sorry to hear that DQ withrew. Damnit injuries!