Thursday 31 January 2008

By eck it's windy!

Probably went out for my windiest run ever today. I was keen to repeat my run up the Carrick hills today and wasn't going to be put off by horizontal bullets in the form of hailstones. ;-)

It wasn't too bad when I started but by the time I was halfway up the hill I was very glad of all my protective gear (hat, gloves, long sleeve wind proof top, tracksters & lightweight waterproof). A lot more than I've worn in a very long time I wouldn't have been without a single item.

The hails was flying horizontally and the wind was so strong I was struggling to stay on the tarmac. The final ascent head on into the wind had to be done with my head lowered so far I could only see my feet. On a couple of short stretchs I was forced to walk, it was just too tough.

The run down with the wind howling at my back brought its own problems as the road was covered in a thin layer of slushy hailstones and it was hard not to slip. Still, once off the steepest part, it was more or less plain sailing. My quads seemed absolutely fine (no hangover from Saturday's run) but I'm willing to bet they'll be protesting by tomorrow. ;-)

No comments: