Monday 21 January 2008

Where was I?...

I finished my last blog full of hope and ambitions to run my hill route twice weekly. We'll like so many of my plans, not too well thought out. ;-)

Of course, just running up and down twice a week shouldn't really present any real problems but the way I ran down last Tuesday made my legs ache in all sorts of interesting places and I found I couldn't really participate in last week's "hills" session with the club in Troon. My muscles were just aching too much and it was immediately obvious that it would have been senseless to persist in pushing myself. Consequently I took Wednesday off and did an easy 6 miler on Thursday.

Friday was a "rest" day, at least insofar as I didn't run. In real life though it was anything but. We're having an extension built out the back of our house and everything out there had to be moved. In addition, the gas tumble air dryer "needed" to be replumbed to work in the garage. I say "needed" because I'm too pig-headed to go out and buy a cheap electric dryer to tide us over when I've got a perfectly good dryer already and I wasn't going to let the lack of a gas connection in the garage get in my way. ;-)

On Saturday morning I said goodbye to our old conservatory which I had "Freecycled". For those not familiar with the Freecycle movement, have a look at this & the local group here. I'm actually the creator and one of the moderators of the local group. It's a great way of disposing of stuff that too good for landfill but you're not interested in selling.

After the conservatory had gone I met up with three other club members for a repeat run down the River Ayr from Failford. This time the pace was more relaxed (which suited me very nicely after the previous day's exertions) but whilst it certainly wasn't icy, it was a bit windier and wetter than last week. As ever, the last 5 miles drag a bit but it was good to do it again.

On Sunday I repeated my easy 6 miler just to try and get my miles up. For the WHW good speed is nice but "miles on legs" is important to build up the necessary "toughness". Only just over 40 miles this last week but I'm happy with that. Come February, I'll be aiming for 50 miles a week, perhaps with alternating long & short weeks.

No comments: