Wednesday 3 October 2007

Life goes on...

...and no sooner does it do so, it brings feelings of guilt. It seems that we either grieve or feel guilty about not grieving enough. I suppose it's inevitable that those of us who weren't close friends or family should move on with our lives but that doesn't stop me feeling that there's something wrong with moving on so soon.

I am pleased though that as the club's webmaster, I think I've helped other folk a little bit by setting up a specific message board for messages of condolence. (You can visit it here) It's clear that people want to talk about Fergie and the board has given people an outlet. There have been nearly thirty messages since I set it up late Monday night so clearly it's fulfilling a need.

Last night at the club we heard a little more about the accident and held a minute's silence in the gym hall where we meet. Our customary 5K time trial was also abandoned to allow folk the chance to just jog and talk, something we all needed to do. Apparently a minute's silence was also held in France before the start of the race that the club members had gone over to participate in. By all accounts, the French hosts couldn't have been more supportive and helpful.

Still, as I said, life goes on and I'm looking forward to my trip to Inverness this weekend for the Loch Ness marathon. It's a great event, superbly organised and so unlike big city marathons like London. Some runners seem to revel in the crowds and noise of big city events but I've never seen the attraction myself. I've only run London once and felt quite exhausted from the noise long before I got anywhere near the end. At Loch Ness supporters are few and far between but somehow their gesture in turning out to support runners seems so much more sincere.

Also going to Loch Ness are a number of WHW runners and with luck, I'll catch up with a few, socially if not in the race. ;-)

No comments: