Thursday 25 October 2007

Autumn sun & tired legs

My run today, lovely though it was crunching over fallen leaves and bounding up the River Ayr at Auchincruive, was harder work than it should have been. I've come to look forward to my weekly tempo run up the river but today my legs would only go grudgingly.

My own fault of course, running intervals on Monday & Tuesday followed by another slow 6 miles on Wendesday just wasn't enough recovery time for my legs. Although I've thought about it many times, this is bringing me closer to cutting my number of weekly runs than I think I've ever been before. The trouble is, once you get up to 5 or 6 runs a week, running becomes so darned addictive. Like an addiction, it's moved my running beyond a healthy passtime into something that is actually counterproductive.

Of course compared to real athletes, my mileage and sessions wouldn't amount to much but for me, running like I am at present isn't bringing about the benefits that I'd like to see. I've read of marathon schedules that only call for three runs a week. I don't think I could cut back to that level but I'm pretty sure that cutting back to four or five quality sessions would mean that I'd be getting more of my training.

With nothing major in the offing, this is probably the best time of year to try a change in my training. If I take the plunge, I'll keep you posted. ;-)

1 comment:

Yehudi said...

Great blog here! I was just wandering through when I came upon your site and I am intrigued! I've often thought about running, (isn't that the first step?), but my body is quite stocky, (5'8" and about 190 lbs.) I dont have a runner's build...needless to say, I haven't found my way out to the street to run yet.

One of the items on my "Things To Do Before I Die" list is to run a marathon. I guess I just need to find the chutzpah to get out and throw one foot in front of the other...
Great blog!
L'Shalom, Yehudi