Sunday 21 October 2007

Do I really look like this?



Yesterday was the Ayrshire XC races at Irvine, the same 4K course as last week and the same disconcertainly pleasant weather. Kenneth Phillips was there again taking photos and snapped me. I suppose we all have preconceptions of how we look when we're running but this is way different from how I imgine myself! I'm not sure if it's the manboobs, the windswept grey hair or the fishmouthed gasping but it's not a pretty picture!

Ghastly picture aside, it was a harder race than last week as this time I ran around with no one to chase which make it far harder to maintain the impetus on some of he lonelier stretches. Despite this I ran 14 seconds faster than last week so I shouldn't complain. I also own an apology to last week's first man who I accused of jogging round. According to his time he was a lot faster than me! Just shows how different our running looks from a different perspective.

Being the Ayshires XC it was a much smaller affair than last week but there was a great atmosphere with much mutual interclub support. Kerry Wilson from Girvan ran in one of our teams giving, for possibly the first time in history, the Troon Tortoises a lead into the second leg. ;-) It couldn't last of course but it made for a fun day.

Not thinking too mch about WHW training at present, just enjoying a bit of relative rest & recreation after Loch Ness. First training run on the WHW is scheduled for the 10th of November which, truth be told, is really a bit early but it'll be great to meet old friends again. More a social gathering than a training run.

4 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Great photo Phil! I must admit I agree with your comments on how e feel we look and how we do look!

I think I look as though I'm always enjoying my running but photo after photo shows a pained expression!

I must learn to smile more ... especially when there is a camera about.

John Kynaston said...

Sorry meant Tim!!

allybea said...

Great action shot but I know what you mean. I always do a double take when I see myself in photos. It's better to be the photographer than the subject!

Anonymous said...

Good words.