Wednesday 24 February 2010

Rowing the West Highland Way



Well, I'm getting seriously worried about being fit for the Hardmoors 55 in under four weeks now. Past injuries have made me very wary of pushing my mileage in training and I've also started late with training this year. Consequently I've really not been able to get in as many long runs as I'd like and the ones I have done have been a struggle.

Interestingly enough, my January & February mileages are almost identical to my 2008 figures when I ran my best WHW race but I know that I was a lot stronger on the long runs back then.

Anyhow, I've decided to break the habit of a lifetime and try cross-training. To this end, I've hired a Concept 2 rowing machine for 12 weeks to try and boost my fitness without risking a running injury. If after 12 weeks I'm sold on it as a method of cross-training I might consider buying a similar (but cheaper!) machine. Perhaps foolishly, being a typical macho fool, I've cranked the difficulty up to maximum and am trying to get at least 5km in per day. If any experts want to call me a fool and offer sage advice, I'm all ears!

To keep me motivated and clocking up the distance every day I've decided to "row" up the West Highland Way and the picture above represents my progress on day 3. (I'm the little red spot).

Hopefully by doing this I'll keep at it although I've just realised that I'm going to be away from home on Sunday so I guess I'm just going to have to take a rest day. ;-)

7 comments:

Thomas said...

Tim, pushing the machine to 10 does not make rowing more difficult since you are going a faster pace. In other words when you switch it to 1 pulling is easier but also slower. So there is no real macho element here.
Talking about macho though I used to row 2k in under 8 minutes.
;-)

Tim said...

I'm confused Thomas. Are we talking about the same kind of machine? On the Concept 2 setting the resistance control to 10 gives you the maximum resistance to pull and consequently slows your stroke rate unless you pull very hard. Did you just swap "fast" and "slow" in you comment accidentally? That would make more sense.
What setting did you use for your 2K row (just so that I can beat you fairly)? ;-) Bet you had it on 1. ;-p

Thomas said...

I always used the setting for 10 because it allows you to row faster. That is your speed (eg minutes/500m) is easier achievable. Although the resistance is harder.
That was the case for the concept2 you see in the gym.

Compare it to changing gear on a bicycle. The resistance gets harder but you cycle faster. That concept is translated to the (good) rowing machines. 10 is the highest gear.

Although it is a personal preference since some rowers might prefer a higher cadence.

Maybe you have a different model. And it allows you to row the same speed with less effort (???).
If that is the case why not using a motor and go even faster?

;-)

Tim said...

Ah, I think we're mixing up our cadence (what I think of as speed on a rower) and "real life speed though the water speed" (your definition).

I'm not convinced that the electronics in the Concept2 "gear-up" your speed according to the resistance dialled in. All it measures is the number of rotations of the fan per minute. If you set the resistance to 1, it seems to be easier to row at under 2 min/500m than when it's set to 10.

I think one of us is confused and I'm not sure which one but I don't think it's me.

Thomas said...

Well, yes, you are right, there is some confusion.
;-)
But to clarify let me quote the userguide:"Concept2 Indoor Rower
Fact Sheet"

"The damper lever is on the side of the fan cage, is numbered 1 to 10 and controls the drag factor. With
the damper lever set to level 10 more air can pass across the fan increasing the resistance (drag) on the
flywheel and at setting 1 less air passes across the fan decreasing the resistance (drag) on the flywheel.
The Gears on a Bike analogy is very useful tool for explaining the relationship between the drag factor, the
level of resistance and the calculated values for power and pace. The same amount of power will produce
the same speed / pace whether it is applied when using a high gear / drag factor or when a lower setting
is employed. In the case of a high gear / drag factor the power will be applied through a slower movement
working against a higher load. Conversely in the case of a lower gear / drag factor the power is applied
more quickly working against a lighter load."
==========================
The essence "The same amount of power will produce
the same speed".

Tim said...

I must admit I thought you were talking nonsense but I've had a closer look at the rower and I see that it does have a "Watts" function and this does vary with resistance so it must be doing more than counting revolutions.

Anyhow, now that that is settled, I go back to cracking 2Km in 8 minutes! ;-)

Thomas said...

Let me know how that goes
:-)