Thursday 11 February 2010

Foot in mouth

I seem to be rather good at this lately. I'm referring to comments I made regarding the direction that the West Highland Way race is going, in particular about how the race has been "held back" by the organisers' past insistence on support crews.

Personally I've always been in favour of runners being given the opportunity to run unsupported and have always felt that whilst having support crews may save organisers some work on the one hand, it can create more problems on the other. Not a problem if you're happy keeping a race entry low but as has become vary apparent in the Highland Fling race and the WHW race latterly, support crews can become a very real headache for organises when the numbers grow.

The last thing in the world that I wanted to do is sully the memory of Dario, the previous race organiser who died so tragically young last year by suggesting that he had somehow "got it wrong" but I think the race has to move on and the new race committee is facing up to the problems and limitations imposed by the past insistence on runners having support crews.

That Dario isn't here to see these changes (and lead them himself) is very sad but I think he would understand and approve. He made many changes to the race in his time as organiser and I think it would have only been a matter of time before he would have introduced these changes himself if he was still with us.

My other "foot in mouth" moment was referring to the "Scottish ultra running community" that the WHW race has built. This is of course silly, the WHW race has drawn folk from all over the world and I've got to know many of them. The links between us all transcends nationality, it's ultra running and the WHW race that binds us all.

Anyway, time to stop digging before I upset any more folk. ;-)

3 comments:

allybea said...

It's one of your special talents honey but those of us who know you are used to it! No one could ever accuse you of not having a passionate interest in all things ultra. You just need to give other folks some time to catch up with your thinking (eg running the WHW backwards in winter or running barefoot)and time to work out the safety logistics.

At least you've always got something interesting/bonkers to say ;)

Ali x

Subversive Runner said...

Hey mate, I reckon it's all that barefoot running...they seem to fit better in your mouth! Seriously, please don't think I was offended by the Scottish running community remark even though it was I that took you to task over it. And thanks for the honorary Scot status...Lee reckons I'm a wannabe anyway!

Tim said...

Oi Dave, if you're not going to take offence you're going to put a serious dent in my offend-as-many-people-in-one-24hr-period-as-possible record attempt. ;-)