Friday 20 June 2008

Today's the day!

Well, tomorrow actually as it starts at 1:00 am but it's my last full day before the race.
It's been interesting reading some of the other blogs of first timers who, not surprisingly perhaps, are a wee bit nervous.

I think I've in the Dave Waterman camp in that I "don't do nerves". Not as in I don't ever do nerves, just that I'm not nervous about the race. I am excited though. I suppose if I'm honest I do has the usual anxieties about injury and failing to finish but denial is a wonderful thing and I know that's not going to happen this year. ;-)

When I first ran the WHW race, I tried following another runner's plan to adjust my sleep pattern by staying up late for the two nights pre-race and then sleeping in. With hindsight, I'm really not quite sure what the point of the exercise was but the end outcome was a complete disaster as far as sleep was concerned. I reckon I got 4 hours sleep total in the two nights pre-race. Despite this, sleepiness was never an issue during the race so this time I've not tried to mess about with my body's normal sleep pattern. I've slept well the past two nights (last night aided by a pint of Guinness) and feel suitably refreshed ready for the race tonight.

Anyway, in just under 13 hours time, I'll be setting off from Milngavie train station and I'll find out how well my training has worked this year to prepare me for a sub-24 hour time. Fingers crossed I've done enough of the right stuff.

Best of luck to all the runners in this year's WHW race but in particular to Ian B, John K, Thomas, Marco, Debbie, Dave & Neal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tim, Good Luck to you too!

See you very soon!

Marco Consani said...

Thanks Tim. Good luck to you too. See you in Milngavie... :-)