Saturday 14 June 2008

Just one week to go!

Well, a certain amount of sense prevailed this week and I didn't push for the 40 miles I said I was going to do in my last posting. In fact, I've only done 25 miles as I find that the moment I stop running 6 days a week, I find it incredibly hard to push myself out of the door.

As others have recommended maintaining some intensity in one's training during the taper, it seemed a reasonable idea to have a go at the Cairn Table hill race today. As hill races go, it's an "easy" low-risk one. It's only about 4.5 miles, never too steep (I managed to run about 95% of the uphill) and with good footing (on dry but bouncy peat) on the way down so little risk of injury.

There were just 20 of us at the start line and I found myself in 3rd, then 6th and finally 5th position when I reached the top. By that point I was relatively well clear of the 6th place man and held my position to the finish (in 40:31).

Even though it was an "easy" race, this close to the WHW it was still a little nerve wracking. I was very conscious of not wanting to injure myself or over-do it and not be fully recovered in time for the WHW race. Probably worrying too much but that's the nature of tapering. You worry about every little ache, pain or sniffle.

Definitely taking it easy for the rest of this week. ;-)

No comments: