Saturday 17 November 2007

Good news, bad news.

First the good news. On Thursday, my daughter came out running with me! Whilst I've frequently teased my children about their lack of physical activity, I've always known that like most youngsters, they're going to do the exact opposite of anything I really want them to do so I've never pushed the issue. To do so would be hypocritical considering I didn't get into running until my late 30s.

Anyway, my eldest daughter who's been at uni for a year (and like most students, discovered the joy of beer) has been trying to lose a bit of weight. She'd asked me about running so we went into town to buy some running gear and some proper shoes. I felt it was important that she have some shoes that were just for running, nothing else. Just lacing up a pair of running shoes gives you a little boost I think and helps to make you feel like a runner.

To cut a long story short, she's been out twice this week. Once with my wife and once with me (3 miles of 3 minutes walk/90 seconds run) and plans to go out again tomorrow morning before she returns to uni. I'm dead proud of her. Of course I have to be realistic and accept that she might (probably) won't keep it up but it's a start.

The bad news is that I'm seriously p*ssed off with the MOB. For those who don't know what those 3 little letters stand for, it's the Marathon of Britain. It is (or rather was) a 6 stage 175 mile trail event across the heart of England. I've dreamt about doing it ever since I first read about it in Runner's World years ago. I enter this years race and paid my £500 deposit at the end of last year. (The full price of the event was around £700). Unfortunately, due to injury, I decided I had no option but to defer my entry until 2008 (something that you're allowed to do once without losing your deposit).

Now I knew that the entry price would almost certain be higher in 2008 (as it had risen every year) and I was prepared for a £100-£200 increase but when I checked the site today I found that the event has changed its name, changed its date, has reduced the number of stages to 5 and reduced the mileage to 156. The organisers have also stopped supplying pre & post run food morning and evening as they used to.

In exchange for all these "improvements" they're now asking £1,500 for the entry fee!!! I fear I'm going to have to write off my £500, not because I don't want to do it but because I think the price hike is just unacceptable. There's just no way I can justify spending that kind of money on a UK event. Whilst I knew that the deposit was "non-refundable" I'm seriously wondering if I have a case for reclaiming it on the grounds that the event I entered no longer exists.

I'm not a happy bunny. :-(

6 comments:

Andy Kerr said...

Is that your photo in the previous post (of the WHW), it's fantastic!

As to the MOB, it sounds like it's a different event and they should be refunding the money. If you paid a deposit for this year and they changed all of it then you'd get your money back... that's essentially what you've done isn't it?

Tim said...

Hi Andy, yes that was taken with my 2 megapixel pobile phone. Unfortunately, that means that what you see is as good as it gets. No point in enlarging it.

Re MOB. I'm waiting to hear from Rory (the organiser). Legally, I suspect he may be able to keep my money but morally, I think he owes me!

allybea said...

Well done on getting your daughter into running. Good luck to her!

As for your MOB, do you know anyone who works for a legal firm? ;) Methinks a letter with sound legal advice would help!

John Kynaston said...

Hope you can get your deposit back. Doesn't sound good to me at all. Stick to the whw race ... Dario wouldn't do that to you!

Tim said...

All may not be lost! I've just found an old email from when I deferred my entry that says that my entry fee for 2008 will be pegged at the 2007 rates.

If Rory keeps that promise then I've got less to complain about (apart from the change in date, loss of a day, reduction in distance etc.).

I would like to run it but I do feel a bit cheated, even if I do get in at the "old" price.

Tim said...

Just had an email from Rory. Says my cheque will be in the post tomorrow.

I'll wait until it's paid in and cleared before I get too excited! Touch wood though, it looks like he's accepted my arguments (or would rather have another runner paying the full £1,500 in my place).