Saturday 3 October 2009

Running smells of...

...cat pee. At least it does in my porch at the moment.

Whilst not the nicest smell in the world it's a welcome indication of my return to running. The cat pee smell comes from my ancient Asics Gel Trabuccos that I've somehow never got around to throwing out and still enjoy using. For some reason, every time they get at all damp they smell of cat pee.

I was running in them yesterday around Auchincruive up to Annbank and back along the River Ayr Way. Last week it took me a lamentable 74 minutes to hobble around the 6.2 miles but yesterday, despite being almost as slow for the first three miles (that's how long it takes for my back to ease off) I finished much more strongly and completed it in 66 minutes. Still way slower than I used to but this time I actually found myself daydreaming whilst running and NOT thinking about my back which was a huge relief.

In fact, so huge was my relief I decided to have a crack at the Triple Crown next year. (For those not in the know that's completing the three races on the West Highland Way in one year). I've 7th on the reserve list for the Devil O' the Highlands race so that's reasonably promising and my Fling entry is already in. That just leaves the WHW entry to get in so fingers crossed I'll get a place in that one too.

Regarding my back, it's looking like the big mistake I made was thinking that my back would recover in its own good time if I just rested it by not running. Backs just don't mend like that and with hindsight, it should have been obvious as when my back was bad around January last year, I did manage to train enough to do the Fling. It was only when I stopped running (as I had pulled out of the WHW race) that it got worse again. For anyone with back trouble I'd heartily recommend "Treat your own back" by world renowned physiotherapist Robin McKenzie.

1 comment:

Subversive Runner said...

You'll have to get on to the Triple Crown Archivist when you've completed mate, make sure he....or she, records your achievement.

Running smells of.....victory.