Thursday 8 October 2009

Getting better all the time...

Since my last post I've had a couple of runs in my Vibram Five Fingers. The first was a trail run (about 5.5 miles) around the route of the Culzean fun run at Culzean Castle. It was great to be out running on trails in them. Whilst you certainly know about the more painful rocks (& beech mast at this time of year), it's a whole lot easier than going fully barefoot. I did (and still do) miss the full barefoot experience but I think I have to acknowledge that there are going to be many surfaces that I will probably never get used to running on barefoot. Anyhow, my wife and I trotted round in about an hour just enjoying the experience and look forward to doing it many times again in the future.

After that run I tried a bit of road running in the VFFs, this time a hillyish 7.2 mile route. This time though I didn't feel that my calf muscles had quite recovered from my trail run as they were a bit tight during and after the run. On one part of the route with particularly good tarmac I took off my shoes and ran barefoot until I reached a stony section. During this time thought I was reminded just how cold wet tarmac can be! It fair sucks the heat out of your feet and I suspect I won't be doing much more full barefoot running on tarmac this year.

Today's run was back in my old cat pee shoes around Auchincruive and I was pleased to take another 3 minutes off my time. Of course I know I shouldn't be clock watching, particularly when I should be taking it easy but it's gratifying to see how quickly I'm getting back into form.

I've been reading other folks accounts of the Ultra Tour du Mont Blanc, an epic 103 mile race around Chamonix and it's a race I'd love to do. I think however I'm going to be sensible and not try and do it as well next year.

I think Susan Donelly has written up a particularly good report of the race that's well worth reading.

No comments: