Monday 28 September 2009

Square peg, round hole?

Now that I'm back to running again, I'm wondering if perhaps I haven't been trying to be something I'm not. Namely, am I trying to be an ultra runner when what I really enjoy is sprinting.

Maybe I was genetically endowed with more fast-twitch than slow-twitch fibers but for whatever reason, I have always enjoyed those moments when you get up on your toes, work your arms and feel the surge of muscle, bone & heart that is as near to the imagined joy of flying that I can attain.

Today I was taking my new Vibram Five Finger (VFF) shoes for their first spin and as we were in London in Kensington, that meant running around Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. Well, after a slow warm up (my back still hurts like b*ggery for the first couple of miles but it does gradually ease off) Muriel and I were running alongside a cycle path and I just couldn't resist giving chase. If I was a dog I would have been woofing and barking excitedly and indeed I think I did rather upset a couple of of cyclists but, Oh, the joy of it! I feel the need for speed! ;-)

Now I've always assumed that all runners feel the same as me about sprinting so I'd be interested in any feedback on this point but I'm beginning to suspect that not everyone feels the same as me.

Anyhow, I'm not going to give up on my ultra-running aspirations but perhaps I should think more about track work? Who knows?

Speaking of VFFs, having experimented with barefoot running in my pre-sciatica days, I was delighted to note how quickly I returned to my barefoot running style. I'm now very aware of how much what you wear affects the way that you run but having had some barefoot experience I was aware that the VFFs seemed to encourage a barefoot style without the disadvantages of being actually barefoot. Maybe they'll just be a transition stage for me to a return to full barefoot running but I do now feel that I can recommend them to folk looking to adopt a more "natural" running style.

Lots of other stuff happened down in London (stuff for another blog posting) but highlights were meeting up with The Pirate and Lee and seeing the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.

Everybody ought to hear "Teenage Dirtbag" on Ukulele before they die. ;-)

4 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

The Ukelele Orchestra look good, mate. Good to see you and Muriel.

Brian Mc said...

Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain!? Most eccentric. Are you a secret Ukulele player then?

I do enjoy a bit of a sprint here and there but I don't think I quite share your joy in such forms of running. I most like running up very big steep hills. Getting to the top is such a good feeling.

Tim said...

I'm not a Ukulele fan really but the UOOGB are more of a comedy musical act. Tremendous fun and some great singing as well.

I like hills too Brian (for the challenge) but not in the same way as I love sprinting. It's a more visceral thing. Perhaps it's running in the VFFs (and barefoot in the past) that has heightened the sensations for me.

stanb said...

I never took you for an alternative music fan. Welcome back and for God's sake take it slowly!!!!