Friday 12 June 2009

Metatarsal osteophytes...


...is probably what I've got over the head of my second metatarsal on my left foot. This isn't something brought on by barefoot running but rather something that become more obvious (i.e. painful) since I started barefoot running.

I was finding that I was getting some tenderness in the ball of my foot right over this bone and when I had a good prod around, I realised that this bone was much more prominent in my left foot than my right. This would fit with the longstanding problems that I've had with this second toe virtually since I started running. I've always been prone to shooting pains and numbness in this toe when doing long road races (which is one of the reasons I switched to trails) and I've always had a feeling like there's a ridge or lump under my foot in this area.

I went to see my physio expecting to be castigated for attempting barefoot running but to my surprise, he thought that it could actually benefit this condition. (It's quite common apparently). Quite how it will benefit it I don't really understand (a lot of barefoot running stuff is counter-intuative) but it's to do with improving the mobility of the bones of the feet and building muscle strength.

Anyhow, it's a relief that I don't have to give it up but I suspect I do need to cut it back and not do any barefoot racing for a while. (Running a 5K time trial just 2 weeks after starting barefoot running was probably just asking for trouble).

Meanwhile, I'm preparing (or worrying about preparing) for my WHW walk. So far the weather forecast has been wrong just about every day so I'm hopeful that we might see some sun next week. ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what can you do about it? I've just come home with the x-rays of my left foot showing I have this at the 1st metatarsal!! Was told to make an appt with the orthopaedic doc but until I see him thought I'd try and find out more of this condition!!

Tim said...

No idea! I gave up the barefoot running and the problem went away. Make of that what you will. I probably still have osteophytes (as do a lot of people) but they don't hurt now. X-rays don't really tell you much about what hurts, they only show structure. X-rays of the back for back pain are almost considered useless these days and many x-ray "normal" backs have pain and many x-ray abnormal backs have no pain.