Sunday 20 May 2012

8 days, three ultras

Is three ultras in 8 days a good idea? I suspect not but I think the photograph taken yesterday at Blairgowrie during the excellent Cateran Trail Ultra indicates that with good company, a good time can be had. That's Dave Catterick from Durham running his first ultra and we both had a great time.

Of course, having a great time didn't mean that any quarter was going to be given at the finish and in the end, I just beat him to the gate at the bottom of this hill and his fate was sealed. ;-)



To be honest, after the first 13 miles I was pretty sure I was going to DNF as I was struggling with groin pains (I've jiggered something down there, I know not what) but decided to push on to Alyth and then decide. Magically, after 20 miles the pain went and I really began to enjoy myself, particularly once I tagged up with Dave who had reccied the route which made life very easy for me. I had a bit of excitement following a heavy fall on to my chest, unfortunately with my fist between my chest and the ground so rather than falling with a "splat", it was more of a "crunch". Fortunately, the endorphins did a good job and it's only now decidedly ouchy. Pleased to finish in 11:35:08, about halfway down the field.



Huge thanks to Karen and all her cohort of helpers who have made this race what it is. Mustn't forget the Spittal of Glenshee hotel which fed, watered and accommodated us all at very reasonable prices.

No comments: