Friday 13 April 2012

Maybe Popeye was right?

...and spinach really is good for you.



I have a regular hill run route that wends its way through fields. It's about 65% cross country, the rest being on tarmac. My garmin reckons it has about 260 metres of climbing and it certainly makes me work running all the way to the top of the hill. I ran this yesterday, admittedly not pushing it and just putting in the miles and was quite happy to have completed it at an average of 10:01 minutes per mile considering the nature of the course.

I wouldn't normally consider doing it two days in a row but my legs felt eager to give it another go today and since the sun was shining, it felt rude not to let them go. My legs do lie to me sometimes so I don't always believe what they say. ;-)

Anyway, I just felt good from the outset today and I bounced along in the "pleasantly effortful" way that I used for my last WHW training run. Without really trying I found that I had run a new PB for the course and knocked 39 seconds a mile off my time.

Quite *why* things went so well today I'm not altogether sure (other than perhaps being a bit rested this week) but I can't help wondering whether the large helping of spanakopitta (spinach pie) that I ate last night didn't have something to do with it. ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news on the PB, Tim! Sounds like you'll be firing on all cylinders for the H Fling. Sub 10 hours?

MtM

Tim said...

I wish! It would be a lovely idea but I've had too many things go wrong food-wise in the past and I'm loath to count any chickens before they hatch.

Still, I'm hopeful of an improvement over the last year or two's times.

Debs M-C said...

I love it when a plan comes together. I'm off to buy some spinach! :-)