Sunday 5 April 2009

That's better...

At long last, my legs seem to be recovering a bit.

On Friday I had a lovely long run (22.5 miles) down the River Ayr Way. I left my car in Catrine and ran back to Ayr as I much prefer doing one way runs to out-and-backs. Of course you do have the slight disadvantage of ending up 22.5 miles from your car at the end but fortunately I have two daughter's with driving licences who I reckon owe me the odd lift or two. ;-)

Anyway, I decided that I was going to walk all the hills and pretty much stuck to my plan. This enabled me to reach Ayr without feeling utterly miserable and exhausted and in my current state, my goal is just to finish the Fling, not worry about my time.

En-route, I did discover a new (well, new to me) part of the RIver Ayr Way where it passed through the Barskimming Estate.

I found a new path leading down to the riverside and for a while I thought it might be a dead end but I was delighted to find this instead.



It's a tunnel carved through the sandstone that enables you to pass a steep section of cliff face and carry on along the River Ayr Way. I must admit I'm getting increasingly annoyed about just how much of the river Ayr's best bits are hidden away in this private estate! It makes me feel a lot less guilty about entering the estate. Beauty spots like this really ought to be accessible to the public. I'd happily pay a reasonable fee if necessary.

5 comments:

Davie said...

Surely under Scots Law you have the right of access? If the owners want to challenge that then they have to go to court and people such as the Ramblers Association would probably foot the bill to oppose them.

Subversive Runner said...

Looks like a more interesting route than the one we took last September.

Glad you're back in the saddle, mate.

Tim said...

Hi Davie, yes, as you say there is a right of access but the law gets a bit grey at times with some estate owners successfully pleading either loss of privacy or loss of security.

Better to have clear public rights of way in my opinion! Think I'll start campaigning for the RAW to follow this route!

Best of luck with the Navy Neal. I think you're mad but if it's what you want to do then all the best. ;-)

Thomas said...

Tim, good to see you are back to some decent running.

See you at the Fling!

Vicky said...

Good luck at the Fling.