Thursday 29 January 2009

Light at the end of the tunnel?

I went to see my GP yesterday, not expecting a great deal which is pretty much what I got. ;-)

That said, he did make a few useful comments about muscle problems causing nerve compression and that it was less likely to be a disc prolapse. Unfortunately there's about a 17 week waiting list to see an NHS physio and whilst I could continue to see my own one privately, it's an expensive business.

My thanks to Andy & Brian for there helpful (if not entirely encouraging) comments. ;-) I've not given up hope of running the WHW yet but if I do withdraw I will definitely either support someone else or marshal. It's great to be able to give something back to the race and I've always enjoyed being involved with it as I was in 06 when I was supporting Mad Jim (& running with some hobbling git called "Mark") and in 07 when I was marshalling at Lundavra. Fantastic experiences both times.

My latest plan is to try a little running (again). I went out last night for a couple of miles. Still painful but bearable for that kind of distance. I'll rest today and try it again tomorrow. If I can do this for a few days without aggravating things, then I think I might be in with a chance. If however running makes things worse, I'll probably take myself off to our local Spinal Centre and see what they have to say.

Things do seem a little easier today so fingers crossed that a gentle return to running may be the best cure!

5 comments:

Davie said...

Tim,
Has your physio had you lying on your back with your lower legs on chair?
If not drop me an e-mail at davidhall1956@sky.com and I'll get you a fuller description of the stretch. Works for a lot of people!

Davie

Debs M-C said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I'm quite looking forward to being on the sidelines this year. Like you, I'd prefer to be in the race though. For me, there's always next year.

The Sunday Adventure Club said...

Hi Tim, sorry to hear of your injury problems, it's very early days though, plenty of time to recover. In 06 I was injured and didn't start training until the beginning of March. I did no long training runs to speak of only hill training, then got injured again and almost didn't run at all for a month before the race. I did some hard sessions swimming (which I would recommend to help most injuries)and on an exercise bike in the gym so kept my cardio fitness going. It depends what you want from this years whw too, if you're looking just to complete then I'd hold off to the very last to drop out, anything can happen. You're experienced so you know you can do it, just a few more obstacles to surmount on the way.
Stay positive and good luck, Richie

Brian Mc said...

Sounds promising. Sorry for not being entirely encouraging in replying to your prevous post! I shall now encourage you fully with American style whoops and yippees. Go girl! (referring to your secret Muriel moniker) ;-)

Thomas said...

Tim, I hope you will be back to normal soon!