Saturday 22 December 2007

2nd WHW training run

Today about 20 runners met in Milngavie train station's car park for the second training run. The sub-zero temperatures and freezing fog over the previous day had lent an almost magical winter wonderland look to much of central Scotland (even East Kilbride!) but last night's warm front meant that it was drizzling when we arrived at the start.

Although the drizzle went off, the effect of the rain and warmer temperatures was to convert dry slippery icy paths into wet & extremely slippery icy paths. Still, it was good to join up with up with the WHW crowd again and we all did our best to keep upright as we slithered and slid our way up to Drymen.

As usual, I went off with the lead group, only to regret it as the pace picked up. It wasn't that it was particularly fast but every step took more effort than nomal as I struggled to keep my balance in shoes that felt like they were soled with ball bearings much of the time.

Amazingly, I stayed upright until we came to cross the small footbridge just before the last field before Dryman. I went down the steps to it extremely gingerly until I got down to the bridge and then must have dropped my guard for an instant. The next thing I knew I was hanging half off the side of the bridge over the stream with a rusting metal upright hooked behind my left knee and clutching another upright with one hand.

I don't know quite why I didn't slip right over the side but fortunately apart from some bruising, I don't think I did any serious damage other than to my pride. ;-)

We stopped in the Pottery coffee shop (as usual) in Drynmen. Quite what the proprietors think about having their shop suddenly filled with malodorous and muddy runners I don't know but that's never stopped them being welcoming and keeping the coffee flowing. (Free top-ups in Scotland! Why don't more places do that?)

After half an hour is was time to head back up the road and again I set off with the lead group but this time is was clear that I wasn't going to keep up. The run up had clearly taken its toll! Still, I was keeping a fairly steady pace although for some reason all the hills seemed much steeper on the way back. ;-) About halfway back, my left knee started aching when walking up hills but fortunately running was okay.

Got back to Drymen about 10 minutes slower than my trip up but given the conditions, I'm happy enough. Hopefully my knee will be recovered in time for the Turkey trot races on Boxing day.

2 comments:

Johnny Dx said...

I don't envy you in thoses conditions Tim. I guess you'll know this is the first year I've 'kept it going' through the autumn into the winter and have managed to get myself out the door despite rain, snow, wind and temperatures down to minus 5 but still hanker for stable, clear air of 12 degrees or so :-)


I've not tumbled yet though.. and hey, where are the pics??

Tim said...

Hi Johnny, it was far too slippery to run holding my phone like I did on my River Ayr Way run. I needed both hands free.

I was also trying too hard to keep up with the fast guys to think about photos! ;-) I did take one on the way back though when I was on my own.